Monday, March 31, 2014

How I Messed Up My Back

By Zane Durant * March 31, 2014 * Reno, Nevada

I think I just figured out what happened to my lower back. Two things. First I sit for long periods of time doing online stuff, and I also adapt tv shows from other countries into English, so for of all I think I sat way too long. I was working on a web site pulling major hours, then I would sit and edit Korean dramas for hour on end. That was part one of why I have been in horrible pain for the last three weeks.

The other part of my lower back pain originates in my posture while working out. I was just looking at a chart that shows how much pressure you put on your spine during a given moment. For instance standing up you are applying 100 percent of your bodies average load. If you are laying down, that's only 40 percent of what your back can take. Let's say you are sitting down with really nice posture. That is actually putting 150 percent of your average load on your lower spine. If you are like me, sitting there hour after hour, with your back all hunched over, you are most likely at 185 percent of what your lower back can handle.

So I was sitting there for hours, and doing that with poor posture, add weight lifting to the mix and you got a lumbar from hell.

I have been working out really hard, getting a little older so I want to look good for my young wife. I finally got up to the 45 pound weights, one in each arm, benching, moving around etc. I just found out that carrying 90 pounds incorrectly puts about 600 percent more pressure on your lower back that it should have. So sitting, and lifting like a fool, put 6 or 700 percent more pressure than I should have on it, all while I am trying to get in shape.

So now, I think it's 18 days I have been hurting. I see Dr Welch in Reno tomorrow. I will let you know what happens. -- ZD

No comments:

Post a Comment