Friday, March 14, 2014

Back Out:: Spinal Decompression Therapy: My Diary - Day One

March 14, 2014 * Reno, Nevada

You should have seen me crawling across the floor trying to get to the bathroom just now. I don't know if it was funny or sad. But let me back up a bit.

I woke up this morning and I noticed it hurt when I tried to bend over. I said to my wife half serious, oh maybe my back is going out again. She said, "you better call the chiropractor before its too late. You remember the last time that happened, you waited too long and you were out for a week.

I called Integrated Spinal Solutions on Longley Lane, and they said my regular chiropractor, Dr. Dan Welch was out of town and Dr Riley could help me. I went in at 4 and he set me up for a 30 minute spinal decompression therapy. As soon as the machine started pulling I felt a sharp pain for about a second, then, it was gone. I felt soooo much relief during therapy I almost fell asleep.

When the treatment was over he removed the belts from me, and I did a couple of stretches and then tried to get up. My back had other ideas.

It took me a couple of minutes to get up straight, my pain was back, the doctor told me, the muscles in my lower back had gotten tense, and I needed an EMS treatment as well. He hooked my up to the machine, and it sent little pulses of energy to my lower back for about 25 minutes.

I barely got out to the car, thank God my wife drove me, and by the way, thank God for my wife in general.. anyway, she got me home, got some ice for my back, made a yummy dinner, and actually just brought me some rice cakes to munch on while I work. Her awesomeness should be another blog.

So back to the bathroom episode. We watched the new star trek movie, and I needed to pause it and go to the bathroom. It took me nearly 5 minutes to go from sitting up on the bed, to face down on the bad completely trembling. I could, or would not accept help to the bathroom, I set my wife for more ice, and I crawled literally one tile at a time to the toilet. I grabbed the knob, and used that and the window sill to stand up straight. In the end I found it easier to go sitting down. Hope that wasn't TMI.

So here I am, in bed after day one of decompression. I have to ice by back over the weekend, use my belt Dr. Welch gave me, and two or three times a day use the EMS machine he also lent me. Monday I return for treatment #2. I will keep you posted.

If you have ever had an experience like this, please comment below. If you are looking for a great chiropractor, I recommend Dr Nicolas Riley, or any of the nice people at Integrated Spinal Solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment